The above definitely sounds daunting. I have always been one who wanted to “self improve.” As I get older, I’m slowly make the realization that it’s not necessarily about improving yourself – you are just who you are supposed to be. It’s more about letting your true self shine through. The best way to do that? Get out of your own way, take care of yourself, and be happy.
Easier said than done, right? It’s all about baby steps. That’s why I loved this article from Huffington Post last week. Many of these things I’m sure you do already, but it’s all about taking a moment to stop an appreciate the action and how it makes you happy. Here are a few of my favorite ways to simply transform your life
- Cling to your moral compass. Believe in the values that compose who you are and never allow others the power to strip that from you.
- Make pancakes whenever possible.
- Don’t hold back your laughter in life. Smile at the silly antidotes that make life amusing. Laugh loud and genuinely. Give those bursts of joy all you have because you only have so many.
- Play. Play with your friends. Play with your pets. Play with your family. Play.
- Retain a hunger for knowledge. Let life teach you and understand at the core of your being that there will never be a day that you don’t need to continue to learn.
- Exercise forgiveness. Let your heart release the evil that weighs it down.
- Go outside.
- Give yourself “me time” whenever life gets too overwhelming.
- Be completely enthralled by the people you are with. Put away the phone and emails while you are trying to have a conversation with someone. Half-hearted interactions are disguised failures.
- Indulge in a few Netflix marathons when you are feeling down.
- Be healthy while still understanding that it is still OK to go for the extra cookie every once in awhile.
- Cookies won’t kill you, I swear. I’m a firm believer that they may actually be saviors in some ways.
- Make a difference. Make a difference with your work, with your smile, with your bare hands, or with your heart. You are alive; live each day understanding what an incredible opportunity that is. You are an opportunity for greatness, so seize it.
Be sure to follow Lexi Herrick, the author of the piece, here