Someone recently asked me what goes into writing a blog. I remember when I first started blogging, it would take me hours upon hours to finally be happy with my writing. Nowadays, I can whip up a post in no time. It takes consideration and time to determine what voice you want to have, how your posts should be outlined and the best practices for keeping your readers interest. Here are a few to keep in mind when writing your own personal blog posts or if you’re considering starting one.
- Would you read it? Ask yourself if you would want to spend time reading your content. Is it relevant to your blog audience?
- Be honest. The more open you are, the better others can relate to your experiences.
- Be short and concise. Nothing is worse than a long overdone novel. Bullets always seem to work best.
- Practice. Luckily in PR, we’re writing all the time. Pitches, press releases, etc. The more you practice writing, the better you will be.
- Reread for grammar/spelling mistakes. Something you should never forget. And I admittedly overlook at times.
What are some of your tips for writing blog posts? Do you keep your own blog?