It’s one trait every PR professional must-have – thick skin. PR professionals are continuously shot down by media, critiqued by colleagues and assessed by clients. It’s just part of the job. What makes it difficult is absorbing any and all negative feedback while still staying positive and motivated. Here are a few ways to handle criticism and rejection to help grow a thicker skin.
- Keep going. It’s important to roll with the punches. They happen. It’s normal. Don’t get discouraged.
- Take the feedback seriously. Don’t disregard feedback just because it isn’t what you want to hear. You may miss out on an opportunity to better yourself.
- Remember it’s business, not personal. You and your colleagues are looking to service your clients to the best of your ability. Don’t take feedback too personally. Look at it as a learning tool.
- Grow from your experiences. Learn from your mistakes and become a better PR professional because of it.
- Use it to fuel you. Fix your mistakes, take better action and prove your abilities. Push yourself.
How did you grow a thicker skin?