Halloween is one of my favorite holidays for one reason – you can eat candy all day and no one will judge you. In light of the holiday, here are few ways to scare away media contacts.
- Send an attachment. A big one. An entire PowerPoint with images.
- Blast your press release. To an entire media list you pulled from Cision.
- Send them a long pitch. That’s over five paragraphs.
- Don’t address them by name. Use a greeting like, “Hello Ms.”
- Call them on deadline. Multiple times.
- Repeatedly ask them for favors and give nothing in return. Never say, “thank you.”
- Invite them to a media event. Without sending the date, time and location.
- Be unresponsive. Take up to two to three days to respond.
- Show up late to an event they’re attending. Leave them hanging.
- Offer an exclusive and have someone else run the piece. A sure way to kill your relationship.
Follow the above, and you’ll have media shaking like this guy.
Happy Halloween! Xx