Working in PR can be extremely stressful. Days you thought you had planned can become filled with fire drills. Just last week I was hit with travel, a fire drill from a client and deadlines all in one day. It’s vital to maintain calm and keep your cool when you’re in the office. Becoming too flustered can leave not only you stressed out, but your teammates as well. When you become stressed, consider the following:
- Rearrange your to-do list ‘“ figure out what the priorities are. If you have an urgent client request that comes in, move it to the top of the list, but don’t forget about your other tasks for the day as well. Get back on track as quickly as possible so all of your assignments are completed.
- Walk away from your desk for 5 minutes ‘“ grab another coffee, a snack, anything to calm your mind. Then jump back into the work with a clear head.
- Tell your teammates ‘“ alert them of what is going on. Don’t act like you don’t have an urgent request and try to take on too many assignments at once. Leaving your colleagues in the dark as to why you are flustered is never a good idea.
- Make sure you NEVER give attitude ‘“ this is a huge no-no and a one way ticket to ruining relationships with your colleagues. No one wants to work with or approach someone that may snap at them.
- Ask for help ‘“ don’t be afraid to do this! As strong, independent PR girls we sometimes view asking for help as a weakness but when it starts effecting client work, you need to suck it up and ask for help.
- Breathe ‘“ always remember, PR is not ER.
How do you keep your cool?