While pitching is the bread and butter of our job, there are many times we see pitches sent out that are just bad. Before sending a pitch, make sure to check yourself before your wreck yourself. Seriously. Here are some characteristics of a bad pitch.
- Boring subject line. The subject line often determines whether or not your pitch is even opened. Think about what would capture your attention.
- Not customized. We’ve said this time and time again, but every pitch you send should be personalized. If your pitch starts with “hi there” and no name, reconsider sending.
- Too long. You should never send an essay. Two-three paragraphs MAX.
- Grammatical errors. They happen, but they shouldn’t. Proofread EVERYTHING.
- Off topic. Whether it’s bad timing or something the reporter would never cover, this is where research comes in handy.
- Too pushy. Asking for too many favors without giving the reporter something substantial will harm any relationship.
What are some other characteristics of a bad pitch?