We could write about dozens of mistakes PR girls make every single day. Our lives are so crazed with client emails, meetings and events that we often don’t take the time to step back and reevaluate what’s going on. Here are the top five biggest mistakes we’re all guilty of.
- Jumping the gun. Daily we have instant reactions to a client or media emails and respond without thinking strategically. Take time to read everything through and think about the next best step.
- Hitting send without proofreading. Double check every single email, deck, press release you send. Also double check exactly who you have in the “To…” line.
- Not doing your research. We can’t stress this enough. Research every single reporter you reach out to. See what they covered in the past and what they’re currently writing about. Look at what’s going on in the news every single day. It’s vital to your PR success .
- Forgetting to take a break or eat. Take a 10 minute walk. Stop doing work for 5 minutes while you’re eating your lunch. We’re so busy that sometimes we forget to eat. Being hungry only makes you more exhausted and moody, plus and we all know it isn’t good for our metabolism.
- Stressing the small stuff. When a reporter sends you a mean email back or your client sets off a fire drill, we tend to over-stress. Keep calm and keep moving along. This too shall pass.
What are some other big mistakes?