The past week I’ve been counting down the days to July – I have a few trips planned and the beach to look forward to (not to mention the upcoming long weekend). In my impatience for something new to pop into my routine, I realized that I was being a little silly – the spontaneity I was looking for is totally my own making.
This article from Huffington Post has encouraged me to look outside my daily routine and stop saving the super-fun times for special occasions. Not only does getting outside your comfort zone and challenging yourself promote those happy-hormones we all like to have, but it also promotes creativity and sociability. So this summer, I’m going to try to challenge myself to do something new every day, no matter how small. When my inclination might be to say no (and just hop on the couch to watch Scandal), I’m going to try to say yes. Here are a couple ways you can find a little spark of adventure in your every day:
- Try a new beauty or fashion trend that you never thought you would take on, whether it’s color mascara, chalk in your hair, or a crop top on Saturdays
- Walk the OPPOSITE direction of where you usually go for lunch, and bring a friend! Find a place to sit down and actually take a lunch break (it feels like mini-hooky!)
- Make baked goods at home one night after work. Bring them into the office to share with everyone
- Go to the same bar every weekend? Go to a completely different part of town for a completely different vibe
- Go to the department store and try on those $600 shoes. Or even better, go to the jewelry store and try on that diamond!
- Devoted to your spin class instructor? Change gears entirely and try rowing or a bootcamp class, or join a sports league
- Watch your favorite Food Network show and make a recipe 100% from start to finish, with no shortcuts
- If you usually work out alone, ask a friend to join you for a run
- Offer to babysit for a friend while they take a date night
- Host a game night – this could become a tradition if you start to love that winning high